Hair extensions like your natural hair needs the right care and maintenance to look and feel healthy; and if you want your weave to last long and still remain thick, lucious and healthy enough to be reused, follow the tips below:
- Co-wash your hair with conditioner at least once every 1-2 weeks to get rid of products in the hair; and sweat that builds making the hair clammy and look mat. Regularly washing and conditioning keeps your hair fresh, moisturised, tangled and freeze free.
- Use a wide tooth comb to detangle the hair
- Use the appropriate shampoo and conditioner for curly hair and coloured hair as they will include ingredients beneficial to those hair condition.
- Use Leave-in conditioner to futher lock in the moisture
- The best way to dry washed virgin hair is to blow dry first with medium heat and then air dry to avoid damaging the hair.
- Avoid using too many styling products.
- Use alcohol free products on your hair as products containing alcohol dry out your hair.
- Lightly apply oil onto the tips of the hair and work your way up to avoid to much grease on the body of the hair. Not only is it not flattering, greasy hair is as damaging as dry hair.
- Use heat protection spray before applying heat when style or blow drying on high heat- which is not recommended.
- Use wide combs or your fingers on your hair especially when detangling hair instead of a brush.
- Use hair sealants (on both sides of the weft), this helps to prevent shedding and increase the longevity of your hair.
- Wrap up your hair before going to bed – the most popular way is to plait it before wearing a hair net or tie into a bantu knot
Bleaching the hair damages it and reduces the longevity of the hair, therefore the above step is crucial to keeping the hair healthy, fresh and lasting.
- Aussie range of shampoos and conditioner
- John Freida Frizz Ease
- Moroccan Argan oil
- Moroccan Curling Perfection Defining Cream
- Brazilian Hair Oil Keratin Treatment